Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the responsibility of the corporate entity towards the society in consideration of the support given and sacrifices made by the society by sharing part of its profit.
IIFCL, a premier Infrastructure Finance Company in the country, is financing Infrastructure Project across the country.
IIFCL, a Public Sector Undertaking, has taken its obligation to the society and the people in need especially in under developed areas including tribal villages with special emphasis in the surrounding areas of the projects financed by IIFCL. While the States have been carrying out a number of development projects, IIFCL on its part likes to participate / contribute and makes its presence in social, economic, infrastructural, educational, cultural activities etc., development for augmenting the quality of life of people across the country.
The Guiding Principles for undertaking CSR activities by IIFCL are as under:
CSR activities should help in building a positive image of the company in the public perception. CSR projects may be closely linked with the principles of sustainable development, ensure gender sensitivity, skill enhancement, entrepreneurship development and employment generation by co-creating value with local institutions/people;
IIFCL will undertake CSR projects which are closely linked with the principles of Sustainable Development based on the immediate and long term social and environmental consequences of development of Infrastructure in the country.
Under CSR initiative, the company will
i) Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
ii) Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
iii) Encourage the development of environmentally friendly technologies.
iv) IIFCL will endeavor to supplement promotion of sustainable development through supporting of research activities at premier educational institutions like Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institutes of Management etc.
v) Through CSR, IIFCL will identify projects in urban/rural areas which would improve the quality of life of the population. Such efforts inter-alia could be in the area of provision of potable water, sanitation, street lighting through renewable energy, community development and welfare, health, education and gender equality.
CSR initiatives of IIFCL will be guided by National CSR Guidelines issued by DPE, Government of India from time to time. Effective monitoring would be done to ensure that the benefits accruing are as per the expected or envisaged levels.
Ensure care for all stakeholders in implementing its core business as well as CSR activities. IIFCL will remain committed to protecting the interests of all its partners and stakeholders including employees, contractual workers, shareholders, suppliers, end users and customers, communities affected by the consequences of development of infrastructure projects and the society at large. Undertake ethical business practices building on the existing systems for maintaining transparency and accountability. IIFCL will publicize CSR projects to the extent possible for the purpose of awareness creation, stakeholder information and brand value enhancement. The company will also incorporate details of CSR activities in its Annual Report.
3. Objectives :
The objective of these efforts are not only to help the underprivileged section of the society by providing facilities for health, education, civic amenities etc. but also to create opportunities for development of skills, employment including self-employment, to promote greater environmental responsibilities and encourage the development of environmentally friendly technologies for sustainable development.
IIFCL’s CSR policy has the following objectives:
• The CSR initiatives of the company will be related primarily to infrastructure activities, which will generate community goodwill and create impact and visibility.
• Aim to shoulder responsibility for restoring/compensating for any ecological damage that is taking place as a result of operations.
• To build a positive image of the company in the public perception.
• The CSR initiatives and sustainability projects will aim to accord priority to activities pertaining to inclusive growth of the society and environment sustainability.
• Business should support a precautionary approach to environment, while undertaking initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibilities & encourage the development of environmentally friendly technologies.
• It would give preference to collaboration with State Governments, district administrations, local administrations as well as Central Government Departments/Agencies, NGOs, Self Help Groups etc.
• The company will also encourage Public Private Partnerships and Public- People Partnerships for undertakingprojects.
• To create value in innovative social investments in the community and may focus on the areas of “Preparedness and Capacity Building” in Disaster Management.
• Aim to partner with Ministries in Govt. of India / NDMA at the national level to strengthen and formalize their role in the Disaster Management process for preparedness of the community towards disaster resilience.
• Suitable assistance to the victims of natural calamities such as floods, earthquakes epidemics etc., in any part of the country.
• IIFCL will engage specialized agencies in order to execute the projects in a planned manner.
• To promote technical /professional education by giving financial assistance / opening institutions through organizations/ infrastructural support.
• To coordinate and associate with organisations undertaking similar activities and other Educational Institutions and Research Organisations.
• To promote skill development for sustainable income generation and livelihood.
• To identify & help under developed areas especially around the projects and also across the country having predominantly SC/ tribal/ other under privileged population.
• Sustainable assistance to handicapped & mentally challenged children and under privileged people in the society.
• Promote awareness programmes against social evils such as Alcholism AIDS etc., and to spread the awareness of legal rights and responsibilities.
Areas of Focus
Skill Development for sustainable income generation & Livelihood
a. Skill development training for unemployed youth for better employability & to promote self-employment.
b. Vocational/ technical/professional training for youth for ultimate support to the projects for hiring skilled youth.
c. Promote enterprise development
d. Promote self-help groups
Literacy / Education
a. Construction / repair of school buildings & facilities including boundary walls, separate toilets for boys & girls and provision of drinking water.
b. Provision of uniforms, books, stationery, computer & Laboratory equipment etc., to schools.
c. Scholarships/fellowships to deserving students to encourage education.
d. Promotion of adult education with focus on women’s education etc.,
e. Reducing the drop out of students & absenteeism through counselling & other means.
f. Promote computer literacy and technology assisted learning.
g. To set up/ promote higher education through special coaching/inputs to bridge the gap.
i. To promote Technical/ professional/ medical education by giving financial assistance / opening institutions through Organizations/ infrastructural support.
Safe Drinking Water /Health care & Sanitation
a. Provide safe drinking water by sinking bore wells, tube wells, establishment of water treatment plants etc..
b. Preventive and promote health care through mobile medical vans etc.,
c. Nutritional supplements to lactating mothers, children, adolescent girls and pregnant women.
d. Health awareness campaigns on serious/chronic diseases.
e. OP/IP treatment including operations at project hospitals
f. Organising periodic health camps
g. Offering specialized support services to the physically handicapped and mentally challenged people
h. Veterinary medical support
i. Promotion of sanitation through proper drainage system and construction of toilets
j. Assistance for establishment of Hospitals/Medical Colleges etc.
a. To promote water shed development /water harvesting /water conservation measures.
b. Development of roads, bridges, markets, transport facilities, community welfare centres, beautification of towns, cities, other civic amenities etc.
c. Promote use of non-conventional energy.
d. Electrification of Public buildings in villages.